Monday, January 14, 2008

Start Thinking About the Real World Folks

As we were on break from classes at Westminster, I took a break from blogging as well. However, after receiving an e-mail from Mr. Weaver saying that Sky, a broadcast major who graduated last month, is working as an assignment editor at WJET in Erie, I was inspired to write again.

Just over a week ago, I attended a broadcast job fair at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. Lucky for me, most stations there were looking for sales people. Although they were hiring for the positions currently, I had the opportunity to speak with Sales Managers from area TV and radio outlets which built up my list of contacts. Each station I spoke with also has a copy of my resume now which means they have seen my name and can put a face to my name.

I have started my internship at WPXI as well. In just the first two days of being at the station, I already know I love it. Being in the environment at a network-affiliated TV station, specifically the sales department, gave me that much more reassurance that I'm headed down the right career path. Interacting and observing the account executives is especially exciting and helpful. I can't wait to spend more time at WPXI throughout the semester.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You've had this torn feeling between the art department and sales for a while-- but now it would seem you've resolved that?
Maybe?