Friday, November 30, 2007

Competing Medias

It's time to start putting together my literature review, and sadly enough, I'm a little excited about it. The best part of the assignment is you get to contact professionals in the field, and get insight from them.

I recently changed my topic to selling competitive media because it seemed harder to talk with a graphic designer than a sales representative. As a part of other projects in capstone, I have already spoken with three current or former account executives: Brad Grandon, who used to sell media and is currently working for Garmin, Bobby Fisher, who has sold various forms of media, and Stevi Nelson, who sells advertising for WTAE in Pittsburgh.

I have also contacted a couple radio, network, and cable television salespeople that I am either waiting to hear back from or have appointments to speak with them. In addition to speaking with these professionals, I gained a lot of knowledge of this topic from my RAB training to become a Radio Marketing Professional.

It's really interesting to hear all the different perspectives each person has on the different forms of media, broadcast and otherwise. Learning from what these individuals have to say gives me a more complete education on the various forms of media and ways to make them more appealing to clients. Plus, it never hurts to make a connection with someone, who also has connections, that has the job you want a few months from now.

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I read an article this week projecting Internet was outbilling radio now.

Unknown said...

Check out gormanmediablog.blogspot.com

He used to work at WMMS (just put a book out about their glory days actually) and now he's a media consultant and talent coach.

One of his last blogs was about by 2008, a certain company's account execs will have to produce their own remotes. Gotta love budget time...