Friday, November 09, 2007

Paid Off...

The hard work I've been doing while here at Westminster, especially these past two years with my work in sales, is showing some recognition beyond the campus community. As I said in one of my last posts, I had applied for an internship at three Pittsburgh area radio and television stations. I sent my resumes out and each of the stations received them on Friday. When I checked my e-mail Monday morning at 9 A.M., there was an e-mail from Sharon Parkes, a Senior Sales Assistant at WPXI saying she would like to meet and talk with me further regarding the internship.

The following Monday I had an interview with her at the station's new building located just off the McKnight Road exit on I-279. I have one word to say about the location: amazing! There are flat screen HD TVs everywhere, it's environmentally friendly, and it is so expansive. I was blown away by the facility, but I really enjoyed the people I met as well. Sharon and her boss Gary Bogart, the General Sales Manager, were wonderful. They were extremely personable and I could tell they cared about me other than the fact that I want to explore broadcast sales.

Finally, Wednesday morning I received a phone call with the good news that they wanted me to intern with the WPXI Sales Department. I'm looking forward to this great opportunity to gain more experience in the field, networking with those working in my desired career field, and simply being in a professional network broadcast environment on a daily basis. The slideshow of photographs from WPXI's new building contains pictures of mostly the set and newsroom from the sales department's aerial view. Look out Pittsburgh - here I come!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Get into the right place at the right time and you never know where it may leade.