Thursday, September 06, 2007

Titan Traveling...I mean Traverse

For capstone this afternoon, we decided to shift gears from the classroom to the great outdoors at the Titan Traverse course on campus. At first, I had no idea what to expect, but honestly I had fun, learned a lot, and it helped me to de-stress a little after a crazy first couple weeks of school.

One activity that I really enjoyed was "Tanks." You had to direct your blindfolded partner where to find "ammunition" and where they needed to throw. I worked with Terese, and we did a pretty good job communicating to one another. We both have pretty distinct voices, and Terese screamed commands so it wasn't hard to figure out what I was supposed to do.

The other challenge that was really interesting was the spider web. The whole class had to work together to get everyone from one side of the "web" to the other. Even though I had 11 other people's hands on me lifting me above the ground, I was never scared of falling. It really showed me that our capstone class is really close, and that we can look past our differences and work together incredibly well.

I thought of another reference that relates the "web" activity to the job search. I was taken completely off my feet with no control over where I was headed, and then after a little struggle and some help from a support system, I was back on my feet, helping others get through it and on their feet. This is what I anticipate it will be like getting a job when I graduate. I'll just throw myself in full-force, struggle at first, but with the help of others at the organization and others in my life, I'll soon be comfortable on my own feet again, and can in turn help new people in the future when they go through the same experiences.
Today really got me excited about starting my final year here Westminster, and ready to start preparing myself for my future job in broadcasting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last paragraph is so true! I've found that the all-stars help the rookies. People who can't be bothered are not only selfish, they're stupid too. You never know the connections someone has and they may be in a position to hire YOU someday.