Saturday, October 13, 2007

My other passion...

As indicated in my profile, my two passions are baseball and broadcasting. However, in all reality, I have a passion for all sports, with football coming in at number two on the list. That's why last night was a great experience as I shot highlights during the Mars versus Neshannock football. Although most of the highlights came from the Mars side, it was still an exciting game for me to shoot since it was my first time going behind the camera shooting sports highlights. However, I did capture the only Neshannock touchdown while shooting in the second quarter.

My supervisor was John Mikulas, a videographer with Channel 21 WFMJ in Youngstown, Ohio. He really knows the ins and outs of shooting, and is an excellent teacher. I learned the basics like starting on the quarterback and zooming out to a medium shot with him and the two guards, but he also gave us tips about shooting in general. For example, if you're shooting anything with music, never stop rolling because when you take the tape for editing, it will be difficult at best to match up different parts of music if it cuts out at any point.

It was nice to try something new in the field, and I feel like John Mikulas would always be available in the future for help or advice if needed.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Did you're batteries hold out?
I guess the BC 251 crew didn't bother going in to check their gear early enough and the batteries died on them.